CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

4.18.2012

Heahaches Diagnosed

I'm going to interrupt the happy wedding posts I've been working on to kind of document what I've found out.

A little background about me and headaches... I've always had sinus infections, with those come some horrible headaches! Throughout the years I kind of became more use to the pain and would just ignore them... blah blah blah... I eventually gave in to what my ENT dr had been recommending and had sinus surgery in Jan 2010. I definitely do not have anywhere close to as many sinus infections as I use to --- I dont have to just live with them anymore. I mainly get the seasonal allergies.

I'm not even postive when the bad headaches started up... I'm guessing summer 2011. Every now and then I'd get an INSANE horrible headache... like stop everything I'm doing, wanna cry, go into a dark room and lay down... wouldnt be able to go out... I mean just RIDICULOUS! I only had them this bad about once every couple months and assumed they were sinus related. Then they started every month... every week... couple days a week and before i knew it they were just about every day... I'd drive home from work miserable not even sure If I'd be able to stand the headache to make it home... then I'd get home and go straight to bed.

I'd never thought much of migranes before but I began to assume these were migranes. One Friday afternoon at work I had a horrible headache with horrible ear pain... I called my ENT and they worked me in for that Monday morning. They did a CT scan, looked in my ears... nothing, no imflamation, no fluid in my ears, no sign of a sinus infection. My Dr said it was past his specialty and refered me to a Neurologist.

By the time I had my Neurologist appt I was having the really BAD, HORRIBLE headaches everyday.... but I didnt even realize it. I was filling out the questionaire the Neurologist mailed me and I wrote down that I had about 2 headaches a week... Jackson read it and asked what I was thinking, that I was getting them everyday now. I hadnt even realized it. Of course he would, He was the one who'd have to cancel our plans with friends on Friday nights, Saturday nights... he'd rub my head and bring me a warm rag to try to ease the pain.

The neurologist was very nice. But He didnt lean towards migranes, when Jackson was pretty much telling him I had migranes. He said "there are a lot of different type of migranes, but as often and severe as shes having them, I dont know if they are migranes" He ordered an MRI for the same day and wrote me a prescription for a medicine to take every night before I went to bed to help decrease the headaches and severity of the headaches, as well as, help ease the soreness in the morning from headaches the night before.

The next day at work I looked at my phone around 9:30am. I had a missed call and voice message. I listened to the message, It was the Dr wanting to talk to me about my MRI results. I went in the other room and called him back. He said my brain looked fine, but he saw a cyst in my brain on the MRI. He said It was nothing to panic about, he saw them from time to time and for all he knew it could have been there my whole life but the only way to find that out would be to watch it. He said he thought the headaches were from the cyst collecting fluid and putting pressure on my brain. He said he planned to just monitor it by keeping up with my symptoms and If nothing changed he'd do another MRI in June to see if it was growing.

Luckily, I work at a surgical office and I was able to obtain a copy of my MRI report which suggested it the cyst was either an arachnoid cyst or epidermoid tumor, but leaning towards arachnoid cyst. The size a little bit larger than a lima bean.

Greys Anatomy, I just started the older episodes on netflix but my parents watch the up to date shows. Of course, the ONE and ONLY time I watch a current one with them, its of a girl with an arachnoid cyst. They removed it and something went wrong and she ended up not being able to talk! Definitely freaked me out!

What do I think about it? I think I'm the least freaked out of anyone I'm really close to. Jackson FLIPPED! I came home from work that day to find flowers, reeses, a froggie and a super sweet Godly card. I am glad to know what the headaches are from and I honestly just have a peace with everything. I know God is great, amazing and in control. He'd never do anything to harm me. Our God is such a loving God. So I just feel wrapped in his caring arms. From time to time when I really think about it I do sort of freak myself out, but overall I'm good!

No worries... Just pray!

1 comments:

Jenny Strickland said...

Adam's brother has one.They found it about a year ago only because he had a wreck and needed some scans. He suffered from headaches for years. I'm not sure what they gave him to take but I know he is feeling much better! Praying for you friend!